Definition

From slang.ie :

Wagon. A cranky contary female / an ugly female. She\'s some wagon eh?

wagon. wagon - an awful woman. than one is such a wagon!

wagon. a woman thats a bitch. dat ones a right wagon.

Wagon. A cantankerous old woman.. Yer wan's some wagon, I asked her could I feed the seagulls and she lifted me out of it!

wagon. car or other mode of transport. i'll drive my waggon.

Wanderly Wagon. A much loved Irish children's TV program which ran from 1968 to 1982


Saturday 21 January 2012

And the wraps are back on again...

Who would have thought that boots and wraps would figure so significantly in our riding lives yet again but in a completely different manner.

Here's the boot


And here's the wrap


It was to be our first longish hack, we had the horses boots on, using baler twine to tighten them as advised, to keep them from twisting.  Martine was mounted, and I was about to hop on when I realised I'd forgotten my stick.  I'd been a bit befuddled all day, so I rushed to the back of the jeep, grabbed the stick, and shut the door on my right hand! I bent over double with the pain, but was hidden from Martine by the jeep. "You OK she shouted?", "Yep" I said "But I'll need a band aid". "They're under the driver's seat" says she. Then I stood up, blood dripping from left hand which was clasping my right hand, "Might need a bit of help" says I, followed by, "You need to know this about me, I'm not one to make a fuss, but it's a bit of a mess"

Proud of our bandaging!
So Martine hopped off Flurry, extracted the first aid kit, and proceeded to do a great job of bandaging my slightly crushed finger (see - Equine Specific First Aid wasn't a waste of time! M)
The first aid kit gets its first outing

"OK let's go" says I, fortunately Martine had a bit more sense, and explained to me that I might have a bit of trouble if Gigi got a little excited, or if we had to readjust boots en route.
Flurry being sympathetic
So unfortunately we had to call a halt to our first long hack, and before we untacked the horses, Martine pointed out I hadn't attached the martingale to the girth, something I always forget if I'm flustered or nervous.
To the Doctor's!
Then ensued a discussion, hospital? doctor? more home medicine ? I had people coming to dinner that night, and had bought pigeons, that I was going to stuff with truffled sausage meat, I really didn't want to cancel. The dessert was made, and the stuffing. BUT I had seen the depth of the cut on my finger, and knew it needed a stitch if it was to heal quickly, so off to the doctor we went, he however was having none of my idea of a quick stitch in time, and packed me off to Apt hospital.
In the waiting room in Apt Hospital
Dinner had to be postponed to another night, and we spent a happy hour and a half at the French equivalent of A&E, when I eventually got to see a doctor, he asked me "Does it hurt? Can you bend it?" "No and Yes" I replied, "OK just needs a stitch so" And we were on our way again!

Hopefully I'll be riding again on Monday, once the big dressing comes off, and I can get a glove on that hand. Anyway this gives us a couple of days to do some exploring .........

Note from Martine : It crossed my mind to photograph the actual gore when it happened, but a) I thought Anne might smack me and b) I could see the stopping the bleeding was more important than recording it all for the blog!

3 comments:

  1. Aaaaahhhhh. Sorry to hear the news Anne. But it does bring up that whole ethical question about taking photos instead of rendering assistance ....I'm glad you made the correct decision Martine...thanks for sharing your husband over the weekend!, what a match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and thanks for stopping by my blog I am now following you. I know just how annoying a finger injury can be has quite some time ago my mother’s mare bit my finger and went through my finger nail, luckily the nurse was able to tape up my finger to give it time to fix back, but it can be a pain, I hope your finger mends soon and you can get back to enjoying the horses.
    Regards
    Edward

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finger much better already, dinner party went ahead last night, and the finger was a great excuse to get the guests to do the wash-up! Hope to ride tomorrow

    ReplyDelete